Thursday, October 10, 2013

Disappointing Products

I've been itching to make one of these posts for a while now, but have never found enough products that I would consider "disappointing" (which is actually a good thing). Well, just recently I've accumulated a few products that didn't meet my expectations. Keep in mind, these are products that I personally didn't like because they didn't work for me. I am fully aware that these may be your favorite products, but these are only my opinions. With that being said lets get right into it.




I know that I took you all on a bit of a roller coaster with all my mini reviews of the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream. But now I am going to specify that I strongly dislike this moisturizer. It made my skin break out tremendously. I swear, it took three weeks for my skin to go back to the way it was. It made no noticeable improvements in the dryness of my skin - which is something you'd expect from a package that reads "intense therapy". I will not be repurchasing.

Next I have the BECCA Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector. I am a huge fan of products that shrink the appearance of pores, so I was really hoping for a miracle worker with this one. Unfortunately, I just hated the formula. It dries really quickly into a matte finish, but let me just say... way too matte. It begins to tug on your skin as you're rubbing it in. Its very gunky, as opposed to a nice silicone based primer like the Benefit Cosmetics Porefessional. This primer made my dry skin look ever drier than it is, and accentuated my pores.

I received this Blinc Mascara in a Birchbox a long while ago and only recently decided to give it a try. Its supposed to put tubes around your lashes, rather than coating them like paint. I absolutely hated it. It gave no drama to my lashes, which is definitely what I go for. I found that it grouped my lashes together, and I could actually kind of see the "tubes". It looked horrible on my eyes. It was definitely different, and I know a lot of people love it because its easy to remove but I was not a fan.

The NYC Quick Dry Nail Polish in Park Avenue is a color I am drawn to in the fall. Applying the polish was easy, and the color payoff wasn't horrible. My issue was that it chipped the same day. You need a top coat that performs miracles to get any use out of this, and I don't have one.

These Yes To Blueberries Age Refresh Cleansing Facial Towelettes were possibly my biggest disappointment. They smell great, and I love the packaging - but thats where the positives end. I don't know what exactly it is about the towelettes (I believe maybe they aren't wet enough), but they made me feel like I was barely cleaning my skin and removing any makeup/dirt/etc. Compared to my holy grail Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes, they fell short. They didn't make my skin feel quite as nice and clean. I will most definitely not be purchasing these.

If you've gotten through this whole post than I applaud you! What are your recent disappointments?

16 comments:

  1. I have the exact same opinion with N.Y.C polish, I'm pretty sure I got the exact same colour as you as well as a bright red and it didn't last half a day before chipping! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a shame cause some of the colors are lovely!

      Delete
  2. I've heard Tati from GlamLifeGuru rave about that primer, but she has oily skin...so I've been wanting to try it out--my skin is an oily mess!! I have those towelettes...I haven't used them yet, I guess I better get to tryint them out. The Neutrogena wipes are also my HOLY GRAIL---I can't stand not having any backups of these babies!!!

    Just yesterday I tried the L'Oreal True Match foundation for the first time, and I was not impressed at all! I'm going to keep trying it and maybe post a review on it in the near future.

    Great post love!! :)

    Lily | beautywithlily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I was reading through some Sephora reviews of the primer just to make sure I wasn't the only one in the world who dislikes it. While it had a high rating, I saw quite a few 1 stars saying the same things as me... even people with oily skin! I guess its a hit or miss kind of thing. And ugh I know what you mean. I ran out of the Neutrogena wipes a few nights ago and totally keep forgetting to go buy more, so the Yes To ones were all I had. Maybe you'll end up loving them, who knows :)

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to try the Becca primer, but maybe I'll get a sample first - cause it doesn't sound like something I would actually like! Good thing I didn't buy it on a whim one day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I just said to Lily above, it has super mixed reviews. I do recommend the sample just to try before you buy. I can see it working well for certain skin types, but in no way did it work for me.

      Delete
  4. Oh I know how bad it can be when we have high expectations about something and than we find out that they aren't ok..
    About the primer, I think that the main issue is that he claims to kill the shine and shrink pores...since you have dry skin it will be terrible :s To me for example it would be amazing, since I have problems with my oily skin. Which is why I tend to look for oil-free and matte primers (I'm using Primed&Poreless Pure from too faced and it's amazing *-* ).
    Please take care sweetie! Have a nice day*

    beauty-with-love.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know what you mean. I have some larger pores, and a slightly oily t-zone so I was hoping it would work as well as the Porefessional or the original Primed & Poreless but it just didn't have a nice formula in my opinion. It made my skin feel very tacky and not smooth at all.

      Delete
  5. Well I can't argue with you on any of these products as I haven't used any of them. But I will take your word for it :) Thanks for sharing love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these kinds of posts. I agree with you on the moisturizer. I got a sample and it wasn't moisturizing enough for my oily skin!

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love these posts, they're so helpful! I tried the First Aid Beauty cream when the brand came over to the UK, and I really hated it! I found it to have a horrible scent when it's supposedly fragrance free and it had such a thick oily consistency, I binned it after 3 or 4 uses as I just couldn't get on with it sadly! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for heads up :) I have never tried those products
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post is so helpful, thank you!

    http://tinks071296.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Helpful post! Sorry these products didn't work out- but it's always good to hear about the not so goodies as well. I tried the Becca matte primer and have to agree- waaay too dry and matte. No good, even for my oiy skin!

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shame about the nail polish because it's such a nice colour. I actually had a little rummage after I read this and Lo and behold I have three from the same brand. I have the clear one (Grand Central Station) which is just as you described. But I also have a grey colour (Sidewalkers) which lasts very well so it might change depending on the colour?
    I also have one in the same brand but from the Expert Last 7 Day Wear collection in the colour Fine Red Wine and I remember loving that one last year so it might be worth trying one of those ones?

    Hope this helps!

    thegirlinthetartanboots.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's disappointing about the Yes to Blueberries towelettes! I have a packet that I haven't opened yet which I received as part of a gift with purchase a few months ago which I was quite excited about using. I tried their Yes to Cucumbers wipes and to be honest, I thought they were a bit subpar. They weren't as moist as some others, dried out completely near the end (with about 5-6 wipes left) and stung my face. My holy grail towelettes as Swisspers cucumber ones.

    ReplyDelete