Sunday, October 6, 2013

Review: Benefit Cosmetics Total Moisture Facial Cream

Ever since high school I've been on the hunt for the perfect moisturizer, and I can never seem to find it. I think I've finally come pretty close with this Benefit Total Moisture Facial Cream.





I picked this sample size up in the Benefit Cosmetics B.Right! Radiant Skincare Intro Kit that I featured in my last haul (here), and I've been using it every night since. I've previously used up a full size, maybe half a year ago, so I knew what I was getting myself into. Its definitely a thicker moisturizer, but its not a greasy mess. With that being said, I don't wear it during the day under my foundation, but I do put some on the second I'm getting ready for bed. It hasn't caused any breakouts, in fact its really just made my skin feel smoother and look less patchy. It absorbs quickly, and a little goes a long way. Its improved my very dry skin in just a couple of days. Its great!

I do have a few problems with it. It has a bit of fragrance to it, slightly floral with a hint of cucumber. I personally don't like when skincare products have floral scents - it makes me think that they've mixed perfume into the formula. I would much rather a more natural true scent - but at least it doesn't smell bad right? I also really hate the price. For a full size you'll need to shell out $40, and I just don't know if its worth that much. Its a great product and has left my skin hydrated, but I just know that I can try a lot of other higher end products with that money, or ones that make more claims such as moisture + anti-aging/blemish control. The packaging comes in a jar, which I both like and dislike. It is a little unsanitary having to dip your fingers in with every use. I have come up with a solution however, which would be to purchase little mini spoons such as the ones they offer at ice cream shops to test flavors out. I like the heaviness and sturdiness of the jar, and it feels quite luxurious. My favorite thing about jars is that you can scoop out all of the product, which is great because I would never want to waste such a pricey item. 

Overall, I really do like the Benefit Cosmetics Total Moisture Facial Cream. I wouldn't say its perfect, but it has significantly reduced all the dryness on my face and that is all I can ask for. If the price were lower, I would definitely make this a staple in my routine until another product came along, however I just can't justify $40 on it. If you have the money, I definitely do recommend it.

36 comments:

  1. This sounds good! I love their 'Its Potent' eye cream. Have you tried it?

    devonabeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't, but I'd love to! Maybe I'll ask for it during the holidays :)

      Delete
  2. The old style apothecary packaging is sooo cute and it sounds like a good product too :o). Xx

    http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! So cute. I always love Benefit's packaging.

      Delete
  3. This sounds amazing! Must add to our wishlist! LOL. Just found your blog and followed you on GFC! :)
    Julie And Ashley
    www.twentythirtyglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its quite nice. I definitely recommend trying out their sampler first though :) Its a little expensive to take the risk!

      Delete
  4. I loveee the little jar it comes in!

    itcantbeanotherbeautyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The full size is even cuter. It comes with a top that resembles a cork!

      Delete
  5. Maybe you can get another sample around the Holidays! Benefit always has really amazing Sample/Travel size kits around this never (although they never launch them here...)
    And I feel the same with the container! My problem is more the fact that I hateeeeee getting product under my nails..Seriously it's horrible!
    Sad that you don't really like floral scents...I would recommend you my new night moisturiser (they claim that it's for all skin times). It's from Nuxe and it's a real charm!Not greasy at all. When I wake up my skin is amazing, like velvet!
    Please take care! Have a nice day :3

    P.S. Have you ever thought about trying out a Moisturizing toner? I've heard that they help a lot with skin hydration!

    Beauty-with-love.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats true! Hopefully they come out with some new kits. I've never used toners before but its definitely something I've been looking into more and more recently.

      Delete
    2. I've seen 3 already around the internet. only one had a tiny sample of the eye cream, but I believe that they might release more kits!
      People rave a lot about Caudalie's and Lierac's moirturizing toners. Some toners are really harsh (specially because they have alcohol in their composition, which is terrible), but this ones are meant to be alcohol free and give more hydration.
      Please take care, have a nice day :3

      Delete
    3. I been hearing a lot about Caudalie. I really think I have to look into one of theirs. Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  6. This looks like a beautiful jar! I purchased the benefit eye makeup remover 3 years ago, I hated it but I loved the bottle so I spilled it out and put natural Olive oil in it as a makeup remover and its still going hehe. When I have a product that comes in a jar such as this, I store it upside down so when I open it I just pick up whats on the lid instead of digging my hands in there or keep it on its side so some can fall out when you need it. sorry for the longest comment in the world! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are great ideas! Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  7. I love this moisturizer for at night as well! I've only used a sample size, but I plan on picking it up when I can. It's great! :)

    www.beautyandbliss67.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still debating on whether or not I'm going to shell out the $40. Its a lot, but it has been making quite a difference in my skin so we shall see :)

      Delete
  8. Benefit always has adorable packaging, I think that's part of what suckers me into buying their stuff haha. ^__^ Great review, but like you, I don't have the money to shell that out often for a staple product. My daily and nightly moisturizer is just jojoba oil, it hydrates and moisturizes and I know for sure that it won't irritate or break me out. It's quite expensive for a large bottle, but it lasts me about 6 months or longer for a 16oz bottle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute packaging always draws me in which is why I own so much Benefit. Oooh, that sounds nice! I've never liked using oils for some reason :x

      Delete
  9. I love the packaging, it looks so luxe - I'd never have guessed it was from Benefit! xx

    Gemma | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little different than what I've normally seen from them, but still I feel like they're always on top of their packaging! Always cute and girly.

      Delete
  10. Hmm not sure if it's one I'd try then. Your photography is gorgeous btw

    ReplyDelete
  11. I havent tried any facial products from Benefit as of yet! I really want too though!

    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to try out their eye cream!

      Delete
  12. Love this post, might consider getting it! i've never tried any benefit face products but I might pick this one up soon!

    Also, you've got a new follower, xoox

    http://ronnielodge.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been very hit or miss with people, but so far I really seem to be enjoying them. I recommend the sampler that I featured in a previous haul. Its a great way to try a little bit of everything!

      Delete
  13. This is so cute! After reading your post I am considering getting this now and trying it out. I love how it's handbag size too - perfect for dry skin dilemmas.
    Love it!
    x x

    amycarysdeverson.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely. Its amazing to carry around for just in case moments. I end up split second deciding to sleep at friends houses often, so this is great to travel with!

      Delete
  14. I agree, Benefit can sometimes attach a high price tag to some of their products but I still do like most of the stuff they sell. Great honest review, love it.
    Tia xxx
    www.bellezzababe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like they make up for their high prices by offering tons of kits and sets!

      Delete
  15. I don't like when my face products have a floral scent to them either, I thought I might have been the only one--LOL--glad I'm not. Everyone looks at me like I'm crazy or something. Yeah, this price for this is not pretty at all!

    I just got a little sample of their eye cream yesterday, I may give it a try, although I haven't heard many great things on it.

    <3 Lily | beautywithlily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm totally the same way! I'm glad I found someone else as well because I totally felt strange including that in my post. Let me know how the eye cream goes as I've been wanting to try it but also unsure about it because of mixed reviews.

      Delete
  16. Sounds like a nice product but prob not worth the high price tag!

    www.makeupmonster.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like for $40, it just needs a tiny bit more hmm, wow factor. It does great things but not enough to make to spend that much right away.

      Delete
  17. I had a sample of this moisturiser and I really liked it along with the face wash :) x


    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness

    ReplyDelete
  18. I you're photos are great and your blog looks great too! Loved reading!
    xoxo
    http://foreveramber123.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete